What is dual password in MYSQL and how it works was already covered by my colleague Brian Sumpter in Using MySQL 8 Dual Passwords.
However, let me do a brief recap here about it.
Dual password is the MySQL mechanism that allows you to keep two passwords active at the same time. This feature is part of a more extended set of password management features implemented in MySQL 8 to enforce better security and secrets management, like:
- Internal Versus External Credentials Storage
- Password Expiration Policy
- Password Reuse Policy
- Password Verification-Required Policy
- Dual Password Support
- Random Password Generation
- Failed-Login Tracking and Temporary Account Locking
The most important and requested features are the password expiration and …[Read more]