Some time ago, I was building a new MySQL DB server (5.7.25) and like all DBAs, I have a template of my.cnf that I use for the new instances after changing a few variables based on the instance resources, replication … etc. I had MySQL installed but I struggled on having the service started!
MySQL failed to start, no errors were printed at all in the MySQL error log – or the log was not created from the first place – even no errors in the system log and I had no clue what was going on!
After some digging in, I found the bad guy! The variable secure_file_priv referred to a directory that didn’t exist. When I had the directory created, everything was fine and the service started.
I tried to repeat the same scenario in MySQL 8 and it was much
better. The error log indicated the root cause of the issue as
2019-03-25T23:39:59.810992Z 0 [ERROR] [MY-010095] [Server]