I used to think one should never look at max_binlog_size, however last year I had a couple of interesting cases which showed that sometimes it may be very important variable to tune properly. I meant to write about it earlier but never really had a chance to do it. I have it now!
One of our customers was complaining that the database would lock up at random times and then it would go back to normal in just a few seconds. This was MySQL 5.0 running MyISAM/InnoDB mix, not heavily loaded. We used pt-stalk (at that time it was aspersa stalk) trying to figure out what is happening, however all we found was a spike in writes, many queries piled up and looking at the system process list it was quite obvious that page flush daemon was acting out. I/O Pattern was rather awkward – here is an output from …[Read more]