In this blog post, we’ll look at does the Meltdown fix affect performance for MySQL on bare metal servers.
Since the news about the Meltdown bug, there were a lot of reports on the performance hit from proposed fixes. We have looked at how the fix affects MySQL (Percona Server for MySQL) under a sysbench workload.
In this case, we used bare metal boxes with the following specifications:
- Two-socket Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2683 v3 @ 2.00GHz (in total 56 entries in /proc/cpuinfo)
- Ubuntu 16.04
- Memory: 256GB
- Storage: Samsung SM863 1.9TB SATA SSD
- Percona Server for MySQL 5.7.20
- Kernel (vulnerable) 4.13.0-21
- Kernel (with Meltdown fix) 4.13.0-25
Please note, the current kernel for Ubuntu 16.04 contains only a Meltdown fix, …[Read more]