After getting sysbench running properly with a scalable memory allocator (see last post), I can now return to what I was originally testing - what memory allocator is best for the 5.1 server (mysqld).
This stems out of studies I have made of some patches that have been released by Google. You can read about the work Google has been doing here.
I decided I wanted to test a number of configurations based on the MySQL community source, 5.1.28-rc, namely:
- The baseline - no Google SMP patch, default memory allocator (5.1.28-rc)
- With Google SMP patch, mem0pool enabled, no custom malloc (pool)
- With Google SMP patch, mem0pool enabled, linked with mtmalloc (pool-mtmalloc)
- With Google SMP patch, mem0pool disabled, linked with tcmalloc (TCMalloc)
- With Google SMP patch, mem0pool …