The past few months, I've been developing a course on the concepts of cloud computing and virtualization. It's coming along very well, and this week I've been working on a demo for an application in the cloud that uses a database located elsewhere in the cloud (i.e. on another virtual server). I'd thought I share the steps with you. I used MySQL, but the steps should be similar for other databases.
- Install MySQL on the server.
- Create a new user for MySQL:
create user USERNAME identified by 'PASSWORD';
- Grant the user access to the database:
grant all privileges on DATABASE.\* to USERNAME identified by 'PASSWORD';
- Then I started up the IDE and went to the Services window, where I connected to my local MySQL database.
- After connecting, I right-clicked the MySQL driver node and
chose Connect Using.
The New Database Connection dialog box …