A customer opened a support issue to ask about some help
determining why they were seeing a lot of Lock Wait Timeouts. I
asked them to enable the InnoDB Lock Monitor so that I could get
a look at what was going on in their transactions and whether
there might be some locks held longer than necessary.
The customer sent in a 184MB MySQL error log with 4773836 lines.
I started looking through it, but I could tell I was going to
need a better way to get a better overview of the file than what
I'd be able to piece together trying to poke through it and look
for individual lines. I started piping the file through a variety
of UNIX tools to narrow down what I … [Read more...]