Read the original article at Best of Guide – Highlights of Our Popular Content
We cherry pick the top 5 most popular posts of various topics we’ve covered in recent months.
- 5 Things Toxic to Scalability
- 5 Ways to Boost Scalability for MySQL
- 8 Best Practices for Deploying MySQL Databases on Amazon EC2
- MySQL and Oracle – Migration Considerations
- MySQL DBA Interview Guide
- MySQL DBA Interview Questions (part 1)
- MySQL DBA Interview Questions (part 2)
- Interviewing an Oracle DBA Candidate
- Hiring a Great Developer
- Hiring an Amazon EC2 Expert
- 5 Tips for Web Application Caching for Performance
- MySQL Replication with Hotbackups
- Ten Best Practices for MySQL Backups
- Autoscaling MySQL on Amazon EC2
- Finding a Mythical MySQL DBA
- Myth of Five Nines
- Why Generalists are Better at Scaling the Web
- 3 Things Every CEO Should Know About the Cloud
- Consulting 101 – Finding Business
- Consulting 101 – Completing Engagements
- Consulting 101 – Growing Business
- Scalability Rules for Managers & Startups
- Ronald Bradford’s Guide to Writing Better SQL
- The Lean Startup – Eric Ries
- What Wouldn’t Google Do – Jarvis
- Cloud Computing Use Cases
- Why (or Why Not) to Migrate to the Cloud
- 3 Biggest MySQL Migration Surprises
- Introduction to EC2 Cloud Deployments
- A handy guide for PHP and MongoDB Web Development
- Migrating MySQL to Oracle Guide
- MySQL Cluster In The Cloud – Managers Guide
- Oracle DBA Interview Questions
- How to hire a developer that doesn’t suck
We use a broad brush to highlight the biggest no-nos in web application scalability.
We dig into scalability, steering to the richest areas to focus on.
MySQL on Amazon EC2, the what, how and when.
We highlight some of the big differences between the two database engines. We’re also working on revamping this content, so stay tuned for more.
Interviewing a MySQL DBA – a guide for managers. Also helpful if you’re gearing up for an interview.
This two part guide for a hiring manager, focuses on the MySQL Database Operations role.
A long time favorite, a hiring guide for Oracle DBAs.
Devops is the latest craze in bringing the worlds of operations and development together. We talk about how to identify and attract such a candidate.
Today the cloud is *almost* synonymous with Amazon Web Services and their Elastic Compute (EC2) cloud offering. Want to hire the best, here’s the step-by-step guide.
Caching caching everywhere. Learn to do it right.
Hotbackups make building replicas a snap. Avoid the downtime & speedup the process.
Get your backups right so you can get some sleep at night!
Learn how to automatically spinup new MySQL slaves in Amazon EC2.
A decade ago startups large and small were running on Oracle, but no longer. As the shift intensifies, it becomes harder and harder to find the right talent. Here’s why.
High availability ain’t what it used to be. Here’s why nobody is really achieving so-called five nines.
We argue that technologists with broad experience are needed to achieve scalability for today’s high traffic high transaction websites.
Startup & Small Business Advice
You’ve heard all the hype. Now for some medicine.
Our three part guide takes you through ten steps to building a successful consulting business. This is as much a guide for freelancers or wanna be consultants, as it is for startups, and those wishing to hire good temporary resources.
Learn about scalability from the guys at AKF.
Here’s a great how-to book, short and to the point. Optimizing those queries!
Building a startup doesn’t have to mean big money. Stay efficient and build those margins.
Jeff Jarvis champions Google, but we flip the question around.
Cut through the hype. Which types of applications really do lend themselves to deploying in the cloud?
Ask some tough questions before you deploy everything in the cloud.
Migrating your application from Oracle to MySQL, you may be in for a bumpy road. Here are a few things to watch out for.
Soup to nuts guide to deploying applications on Amazon Web Services EC2.
For more articles like these go to iHeavy, Inc +1-212-533-6828