|Showing entries 1 to 11|
This release contains bug fixes and new features. Click through to the full article for the details. I'll also write more about the changes in a separate article.
My posts lately have been mostly progress reports and release notices. That's because we're in the home stretch on the book, and I don't have much spare time. However, a lot has also been changing with Maatkit, and I wanted to take some time to write about it properly.
This release contains bug fixes and new features. The biggest new feature, in my opinion, is a new sync algorithm for mk-table-sync. Now you can sync any table with an index more efficiently than previously. This is the return of the speed I promised earlier. (Though I haven't yet benchmarked it; I am very short on time these days. Your benchmarks and other contributions are welcome).
I'm finally feeling like the table sync tool is getting in good shape!
Changelog etc is in the full article.
This is the last day I'm taking off work to hack on mk-table-sync, and I thought it was time for (yet another) progress report. Here's what I have done so far. (Click through to the full article to read the details).
Ironically, the Stream algorithm I wrote as the simplest possible syncing algorithm does what the much more efficient algorithm I wrote some time ago can't do: sync a table without a primary key, as long as there are no duplicate rows. In fact, it's so dumb, it will happily sync any table, even if there are no indexes.
The flash of inspiration I had on Friday has turned out to be good...
My initial plans got waylaid! I didn't pull out the checksumming code first, because the code wasn't at all as I remembered it. Instead, I began writing code to handle the more abstract problem of accepting two sets of rows, finding the differences, and doing something with them. I'm ending up with a little more complicated system than I thought I would. However, it's also significantly simpler in some ways. Instead of just passing references to subroutines to use as callbacks, I'm object-ifying the entire synchronization concept...
I am considering taking some time off work to concentrate deeply on MySQL Table Sync, which has been getting usage in very large companies whose names we all know. There are a lot of bugs and feature requests outstanding for it. It is overly complex, needs a lot of work, and I can't do it in one-hour or even three-hour chunks. I need to focus on it. I'm considering asking for a bounty of $2500 USD for this. Please let me know what you think of this; it seems to be a successful way to sponsor development on some other projects, like Vim.
For the amount of time I think this will take, $2500 is far below my per-hour consulting rate; I considered setting the bounty higher, but I think this will be a fair amount.
I would not begin this project before December at the earliest, so there's some time[Read more...]
|Showing entries 1 to 11|