Showing entries 1 to 7
Displaying posts with tag: metadata_locks (reset)
Exploring Metadata Locks with gdb - Studying Simple Case on Percona Server 5.7

I had forgotten the topic of studying metadata locks with gdb for quite a some time. Now that I've upgraded to Percona Server 5.7 and enjoy the remaining of my last free day as an independent MySQL Support Engineer doing nothing but some blogging, I think it's time to get back to gdb interactive sessions and try to answer the question I've got from customer back in Percona but had no chance to answer.

In a bit rewritten way, it sounded as follows:
"Do ALTER TABLE ... STATS_AUTO_RECALC=1" and the reverse ALTER
TABLE...STATS_AUTO_RECALC=default block select, update, delete, and insert on the table?
"There are two ways to answer this question. First, we can just try to …

[Read more]
Exploring Metadata Locks with gdb - How One Can Use This?

In the previous post in this series I've concluded that metadata locks are acquired in "batches" and the function that implements this is called MDL_context::acquire_locks. Let's check quickly what it does to confirm where wait for metadata lock really happens. We need this to proceed finally from studying what locks are set and when (this is a long and complicated topic to spend time on out of general interest) to more practical topic: how to find the session that holds the blocking metadata lock in MySQL versions before 5.7.x.

I'll continue to use Percona Server 5.6.27 for now, just because I have it installed and have a source code at hand. So, MDL_context class is defined in sql/mdl.h file as follows:

  Context of the owner of metadata locks. I.e. each server …

[Read more]
Exploring Metadata Locks with gdb - Double Checking the Initial Results

Some results in my initial post in this series led me to questions that I'll try to answer here. First of all, I noted that SELECT from a single table ended up with just one metadata lock request:

(gdb) b MDL_request::init
Breakpoint 1 at 0x648f13: file /usr/src/debug/percona-server-5.6.27-76.0/sql/, line 1266.
Breakpoint 2 at 0x648e70: file /usr/src/debug/percona-server-5.6.27-76.0/sql/, line 1245.
warning: Multiple breakpoints were set.
Use the "delete" command to delete unwanted breakpoints.
(gdb) c
[Switching to Thread 0x7ff224c9f700 (LWP 2017)]

Breakpoint 2, MDL_request::init (this=0x7ff1fbe425a8,
    mdl_namespace=MDL_key::TABLE, db_arg=0x7ff1fbe421c8 "test",

[Read more]
Exploring Metadata Locks with gdb - First Steps

Metadata locks are used in MySQL since version 5.5.3 and are available in GA MySQL versions for 6 years already. Still they are far from clearly documented (even less their implementation is documented in details - try to find anything about metadata locks in current MySQL Internals manual) and often causes "unexpected" problems for users.

Only since MySQL 5.7.3 (and only for a few months in GA releases since 5.7.9) we have an easy, official and documented way to check metadata locks set by different sessions using the metadata_locks table in  Performance Schema. I've already explained how to use it in my blog post at Percona's blog. Still, …

[Read more]
Exploring MySQL Metadata Lock Instrumentation in Closer Detail

I recently wrote a post on tracking metadata locks (MDL) in MySQL 5.7, and I wanted to take a moment to expand on it by explaining a couple of the associated variables in more detail.

First off, once you have enabled the performance_schema *and* the metadata lock instrumentation, you can verify it with:

mysql> SELECT * FROM performance_schema.setup_instruments
    -> WHERE NAME = 'wait/lock/metadata/sql/mdl';
| NAME                       | ENABLED | TIMED |
| wait/lock/metadata/sql/mdl | YES     | YES   |

“ENABLED” will report “YES” if it is enabled properly, and “NO” if not.

“TIMED” (referring to event timing) reports “YES” if it was enabled via the my.cnf or my.ini file, and it …

[Read more]
Tracking Metadata Locks (MDL) in MariaDB 10.0

I recently blogged about tracking metadata locks in the latest MySQL, and now I want to discuss how to track these metadata locks in MariaDB.

In MySQL 5.7, there is a table named `metadata_locks` added to the performance_schema (performance_schema must be enabled *and* the metadata_locks instrument must be specifically enabled as well.

In the MariaDB 10.0 implementation (as of 10.0.7), there is a table named METADATA_LOCK_INFO added to the *information_schema*. This is a new plugin, so the plugin must be installed, but that is very simple with:

INSTALL SONAME 'metadata_lock_info';

Then, you will have the table.

To see it in action:

Connection #1:

mysql> create table t (id int) engine=myisam;
mysql> begin;
mysql> select * from t;

Connection #2:

mysql> alter table t add …
[Read more]
Tracking Metadata Locks (MDL) in MySQL 5.7

I’ve blogged about metadata locks (MDL) in the past (1 2 3) and in particular discussed how best to track them down and troubleshoot threads stuck waiting on metadata locks.

If you’ve had any experience with these, you’ll know finding them isn’t always the most straight-forward task.

So I was glad to see metadata lock instrumentation added to MySQL 5.7.3 as part of performance_schema, which makes tracking these down a breeze! (Note this is only in 5.7.3 currently, and therefore is some time from being GA as of today)!

To use these, performance_schema must be enabled (i.e., performance_schema=1 in your config file).

But, also, the metadata_locks instrument is disabled by default, so even if you enable the …

[Read more]
Showing entries 1 to 7