Well, as you or may not have heard, MariaDB 5.5 (5.5.23) was declared GA last week!
It was only about 6-ish weeks ago that MariaDB 5.5 had been released as alpha, so the fact it’s already GA is excellent news for all MariaDB users (and MySQL 5.5 users looking to migrate).
Some of the 5.5 enhancements include:
- Significantly more efficient thread pool, comparable in functionality to the closed source feature in MySQL Enterprise.
- Non-blocking client API Library (MWL#192)
- @@skip_replication option (MWL#234)
- SphinxSE updated to version 2.0.4.
- “extended keys” support for XtraDB and InnoDB
- New INSTALL SONAME statement
- New LIMIT ROWS EXAMINED optimization.
- mysql_real_connect() Changes
In MySQL, and in MariaDB versions before 5.5.21, mysql_real_connect() removes from the MYSQL object