After 15 years of slide show technology, I thought that we need to change the way we do presentations. And since I am advocating radical changes, I will eat my own dog food and be the first to present a MySQL session using 3D technology.
Since watching Avatar a few years ago, I thought that using this technology would make my presentations truly amazing. However, two years ago a 3d projector was prohibitively expensive. Now, instead, it is affordable, and fits in my briefcase!
What I needed, though, was a compelling reason for using 3d vs. traditional presentations. And I found it. As I have mentioned recently, I am working with the coolest replication technology on earth. Explaining this technology is often challenging. While regular replication …[Read more]
In addition to speaking at RMOUG event in Denver, I also spoke today in Broomfield on “Improving MySQL Performance with Better Indexes”.
This presentation included details on :
- Effective examples of capture SQL via application logging and TCP/IP analysis necessary for identifying the best candidates. Slow is not always the best query to start with.
- All the commands necessary to identify why you may need an index, how to create varying types of indexes, and how to confirm there true effectiveness.
- How the number of table rows and different storage engines can greatly effect the optimization choice and query performance
- The presentation shows how to determine/create and verify covering indexes for a single table example, a master/child example and a production 13 table …
Today at the RMOUG Training Days 2012 event I gave an introduction presentation on MySQL Security Essentials covering the following topics:
- MySQL Security defaults
- MySQL Security Improvements
- OS Security
- User Privileges
- Data Integrity
- Installation Practices
- Auditing Options
- Better Security
- Further References
Download slides for MySQL Security Essentials.
The slides of my talk on B+Tree Indexes and InnoDB are now
available for download. This slide was presented during Percona
Live London 2011. You can download the slides from here.
There are many other interesting and informative talks that were presented during Percona Live London 2011, and I think you should definitely check them out, if you haven't. They are available here.
I'm now in London for the Percona Live conference! Come see me at 1:30 tomorrow tuesday October 24 and hear about running databases, BIG databases, in a cloud environment. MongoDB, Sphinx, MySQL what have you, all running in a Amazon EC2 environment. Lots of data,, lots of resources, lots of disks! And lots of fun!
I will be a speaker at Percona Live - London 2011, and I am looking
forward to the event, which is packed with great content. A
whopping 40 session of MySQL content, plus 3 keynotes and 14
tutorials. It's enough to keep every MySQL enthusiast busy.
Continuent speakers will be particularly busy, as between me
and Robert Hodges, we will be on stage four times
on Tuesday, October 25th.